Consider these situations: Family A has a ten-year-old house, and three steam cleanings and a series of other efforts have failed to remove some of the stains eight years after purchasing a carpet. On the other hand, Family B recently purchased a house with a hardwood floor, only to later decide that they need to convert their house into a high-traffic mini-resort. These two examples will definitely show that both carpet and hardwood floors have their downsides. None of them are perfect, and the type of flooring the user chooses should be determined by the intended long-term function of the floor covering. To make a logical decision about which flooring to choose, try to look at the advantages and disadvantages of each type of flooring.
Advantages of wood
– Hardwood floors come in a wide variety of materials, but may not come in as many colors as carpet. However, the natural colors of the different types of wood give it the advantage of blending in and complementing just about anything in the room.
– Thanks to some of the latest advances and improvements that make wood resistant to stains, scratches, and termite destruction, choosing wood flooring makes it a breeze to keep your home neat and tidy.
– It is really very rare to find someone who is allergic to wood. This makes wood a safe and healthy choice, especially for people who may react to some of the chemical reagents often used in carpet cleaning detergents. Wood also does not store sand or solid particles and would therefore be suitable for people with asthma or other respiratory complications.
disadvantages of wood
– Although hardwood floors do not require dangerous detergents to clean, the floor cleaners used may include substances that keep the wood looking fresh and clean. These substances are also responsible for keeping termites away and can also affect the health of some people when inhaled.
– Compared to carpets, wood is a very expensive floor. Especially if you’re on a small budget, choosing hardwood flooring may require careful consideration.
Advantages of rugs
– Rugs come in a wide variety of colors and designs. Choosing a rug for your floor covering allows you great freedom of choice to find a “look” that reflects your personal style. The texture of a rug is also soft and warm compared to hardwood floors, and rugs can act as insulation on cold floors.
– The prices of the carpets usually vary according to the material. This variety gives you the flexibility to work within your means to get the perfect rug for your home. Compared to hardwood floors, rugs are very easy to purchase.
Disadvantages of carpets
– Carpets require regular cleaning and, compared to wood, are more subject to tough stains. They are also known to attract dust, which often makes them easily dirty.
– Carpets are not the best alternative for people with various allergies, especially if you know that you will not be able to clean your carpets regularly. This is because the fiber of the carpet often stores particles of dirt, dander or sand, which can rise and trigger allergic reactions such as coughs and sneezes.
Each of these flooring options can provide the ideal for your home, and the tips above should equip you to choose the right type of flooring.